Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

Discussion Thread: The Keto Trap

Inner Circle Member Forum >> General Discussion >> Discussion Thread: The Keto Trap

Transcripts

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 130
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 9/28/2017 9:19:25 PM
Edited: 10/21/2017 6:58:31 PM (1)

This is a forum copy of the transcript for the video at:
UIC Video library: The Keto Trap
Undoctored Blog: The Keto Trap
Wheat Belly Blog: The Keto Trap
For why this is here, see this revised Reply in an earlier transcript thread.

Transcript:

What do I mean by the keto trap?
These are the sorts of conversations I have in my Undoctored book (Undoctored — Why Health Care Has Failed You And How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor).

Well, I’m a supporter of becoming ketotic, of having “physiological ketosis”. It’s a wonderful way to accelerate weight loss, reverse phenomena like insulin resistance and fatty liver, help diabetics become non-diabetic (Type 2 diabetics) — and lots of other conditions can reverse very rapidly on a ketogenic lifestyle. You also feel better. You have greater clarity and focus; mental focus. You can even improve physical performance over time. You can raise your aerobic threshold a little bit higher.

So I’m a big fan of being ketotic, but you don’t have to be ketotic, by the way, to maintain health. It’s just one of the options you have to accelerate some of the benefits of carbohydrate limitation, grain elimination, etc. — the kinds of lifestyles I’ve advocated in my Undoctored book, and in my Wheat Belly books.

But the one pitfall, that most people do not understand, when they follow these keto type diets, is that you must cultivate bowel flora. See, when you go ketogenic, you’ve eliminated carbohydrates; essentially complete elimination, but prebiotic fibers that nourish bowel flora, only come in carbohydrate foods. So it doesn’t mean you need a lot of bunch of carbs — does not mean that — it means that you need to get food such as green unripe bananas, or raw white potatoes, or inulin powder, or fructooligosaccharides, or modest servings of legumes that contain galacto-oligosaccharide prebiotic fibers. Because this is how you cultivate bowel flora.

If you do not cultivate bowel flora, bad things will happen, over a long period. It may take a year, or two, or three, but it starts with constipation, a drop in HDL cholesterol, a rise in triglycerides, a rise in blood sugar, a rise in insulin and insulin resistance, weight gain, visceral fat weight gain, and, a more increased risk for diverticular disease (diverticulitis) and colon cancer.

So, this is not a small matter. This is a big deal. So you should not be ketotic without efforts to control or to cultivate healthy bowel flora. This is all discussed in my Undoctored book, in my Undoctored Blog, Wheat Belly Blog, and Wheat Belly Total Health book.

So educate yourself if you want to get the advantages of a ketogenic diet. But don’t make this mistake, and fall into the keto trap of failing to cultivate bowel flora.

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 10474
Recommends Recd: 9
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 9/28/2017 9:43:38 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Ceithlenn

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 251
Recommends Recd: 1
Certs & Awards: 1   view

Posted: 9/29/2017 6:12:56 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posts Contributed: 8890
Recommends Recd: 15

Likes Recd: 1

Posted: 9/29/2017 2:29:05 PM

This is such an important conversation, Ceithlenn, that I shall produce a video for a more extended coverage.

It is perfectly fine to be in ketosis, but just don’t do it for more than a few weeks, perhaps a few months, at a time.

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 10474
Recommends Recd: 9

Posted: 10/5/2017 9:06:06 AM
Edited: 10/5/2017 10:11:09 AM (2)

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

EmilyC.

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 4

Posted: 10/5/2017 4:46:05 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posted: 10/6/2017 12:24:57 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Heart_Builder

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 7029
Recommends Recd: 13

Posted: 10/7/2017 3:23:19 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Joe E O

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 33

Posted: 10/10/2017 1:28:29 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posted: 10/10/2017 3:55:41 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags: