Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

WBB: Fatal mistake

Member Forum >> Premium Content Mirror >> WBB: Fatal mistake

Reference

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1366
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 8/6/2013 12:00:00 PM
Edited: 4/30/2022 12:35:14 PM (1)

Originally posted by Dr. Davis on 2013-08-06
on the Wheat Belly Blog, sourced from and currently found at: Infinite Health Blog.
PCM forum Index of WB Blog articles.

Fatal mistake

Craig related this story of inadvertent wheat re-exposure:

I’ve been wheat-free for just about three months. Last night, I went to my niece’s wedding reception (some of you can see it coming, can’t you?) and I knew I’d have to be careful what to pick from the buffet. Goulash: obviously not. Beef on kummelweck, well, no roll, of course, but a big heap of beef is good. Oh, look! Green salad and fruit salad. Big helping of each.

So far, so good, eh? But then the fatal mistake.

You gotta have something on green salad and there sat a big decanter of Italian-looking dressing. With just a tiny voice in the back of my mind warning me, no, I lathered it on. And it didn’t take long for the consequences to begin.

Went to bed at 10:00 and woke up every hour thereafter ’til 3:00 when I finally gave in and got up. I’ve been sleeping like the proverbial rock for months, so I knew right away that I’d been wheated, starched, or both. And it had to be the dressing. All of them contain some sort of modified food starch — that’s why I’d thrown all mine out. I’ve found that, since giving up wheat, I’m very sensitive to starches. And a lot of commercial dressings have wheat as a thickener. But all I could do now was sit and wait for what was to come.

And it started: runny nose, trips to the bathroom and, by late morning, brain-fog so thick I didn’t know if I was coming or going. I’d had beef soup cooking in the crock pot overnight and when I went to strain the broth, instead of lifting out the ceramic bowl, I, in my dazed, herky-jerky state, grabbed the whole pot which then flew out of my hands as it was still plugged into the wall, spilled hot soup over my arm burning it (not seriously, but it hurts!) and flooded the kitchen floor as well as splattering the cabinets.

And after a lost half-hour of cleaning up the mess, let me tell you, my mood was black.

I’m so mad at myself. The last couple weeks of wheat-freedom had, in addition to the weight loss [35 lbs], the skin-clearing, the lower back pain and bursitis disappearing, and the arthritis in my neck virtually gone, had seen my mood go almost euphoric. I’m temporarily working out-of-town with an hour-and-a-half commute each way. I’ve been dreading this assignment, but found that I would wake up each morning excited about the day. I would use the drive to think all sorts of interesting things, and had so much energy at work that I couldn’t believe it.

So, sitting here tonight downing a stiff gin-and-tonic to get some semblance of a good mood back (even if artificially induced), all I can say is that I’m so dam*ed mad. Never again!

While I wish Craig didn’t have to suffer through his tough night of wheat re-exposure, experiences like this are SO instructive. They remind us just how toxic wheat was to us in the first place.

We ate it for years, tolerating the headaches, fatigue, mind “fog,” impaired concentration, joint pains, heartburn, urgent bowel movements, increased appetite, etc., but developing partial tolerance to at least some of the effects. We go off wheat, endure the several days of opiate withdrawal from the gliadin protein, then feel wonderful and free of all the wheat-related problems . . . until we have a re-exposure, intentional or inadvertent.

We’ve heard many of these wheat re-exposure stories the past 2 years, but stories like Craig’s are worth hearing over and over again as they remind us that “healthy whole grains” are not! They are perfect chronic poisons that revisit us with a vengeance when we drift back.

D.D. Infinite Health icon

Tags: