Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

WBB: The happy “coincidences” of wheatlessness

Member Forum >> Premium Content Mirror >> WBB: The happy “coincidences” of wheatlessness

Reference

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1366
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 2/25/2013 12:00:00 PM
Edited: 4/30/2022 11:47:46 AM (2)

Sourced from: Infinite Health Blog, by Dr. Davis, originally posted on the Wheat Belly Blog: 2013-02-25

The happy “coincidences” of wheatlessness

Wheat Belly Blog reader, Limor, posted this triumphant story of freedom from the health-destroying bonds of wheat:

You validated what I have felt for so many years!! I read you book and watched your lectures over and over again and was fascinated by your knowledge and findings.

I am a therapist in NYC specializing in Eating Disorders and I also recovered from Anorexia and Bulimia. I have been gluten-free for over a year and, after reading your book, I am working hard on being wheat-free.

Prior to being wheat-free, I suffered severe pains and cramps in my stomach. After several failed attempts to ask various doctors why I have been experiencing such discomfort, particularly after eating wheat products, I decided to do the “elimination diet.” About a month after I went wheat-free, I noticed HUGE changes in the way I was feeling physically and emotionally.

Prior to going wheat-free, I suffered from tendinitis which was very debilitating. The doctor I saw told me that I had inflammation in my knee and that I had to go to physical therapy at least twice a week and take medication. When I asked why I might have had such severe pain that made me fall on several occasions, he said “It was genetic” and medication should relieve the pain. I never went to physical therapy and I didn’t take any medication for the pain.

Two months after going wheat-free, I almost had NO pain or discomfort with my knee or my stomach. When I went back to the doctor he said that it MUST have been a “coincidence” that my knee pain stopped after I went wheat-free. I knew that eating wheat caused me a LOT of discomfort and when I read your book and listen to your lectures i wanted to scream THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now recommend to all my patients who suffer from bulimia or binge-eating or any other psychological/physical problem to give wheat-free a chance! I am already witnessing changes. THANK YOU for giving me the confidence to follow what I thought made me feel better and for making me a happier and healthier person!

When I first asked patients to eliminate wheat, I did so to reduce blood sugar and the long-term measure of blood sugar fluctuations, hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c. I did this in the hopes of helping people gain better control over heart disease risk, as diabetes and pre-diabetes introduced substantial excess risk for heart attack and other cardiovascular disasters. People went home armed with my little 2-page handout detailing how to do this. They returned several months later with lower fasting glucose values, lower HbA1c, as I expected. They also demonstrated greater reductions in small LDL particles (the #1 most common cause for heart disease!) than I expected, typically dropping 70-100%. The results were far better than I expected. After all, I had asked patients to eliminate “healthy whole grains.”

But what really caught my attention were all the stories people following this wheat-free lifestyle began telling me: complete and nearly immediate relief from acid reflux, disappearance of bowel urgency, relief from wrist and hand pain, improved mood, deeper sleep, no more mental “fog” or afternoon energy slumps. People with rheumatoid arthritis reported dramatic improvement, sometimes outright cure. People with ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease reported marked reduction in cramps, diarrhea, and even hemorrhage; many were able to stop 1, 2, or all 3 drugs used to treat the conditions. Asthmatics pitched their inhalers. People with depression felt their moods lifting for the first time in years, many getting off antidepressants. Men and women reported improved sex drive. A wide variety of rashes, especially seborrhea and psoriasis, as well as acne and dandruff, went away, even after years of salves, shampoos, and steroid creams. People with bulimia and binge eating disorder reported complete loss of around-the-clock food obsessions that had plagued them for decades.

The first few dozen times these sorts of stories came my way, I too dismissed them as just happy coincidences. “Gee, John: I can’t see why your disfiguring rheumatoid arthritis would just GO AWAY!” But many, many of thousands of “coincidences” later and it has become absolutely clear: This is NO coincidence, no incredible series of serendipitous occurrences without meaning. This is the extravagant and unexpected effect of eliminating something that should NEVER have been introduced into the human diet, let alone enjoy the widespread endorsement of the USDA, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services, and the nutritional community.

In the world of nutrition, you make your own luck!

D.D. Infinite Health icon

Tags: