Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

WBB: Wheat-free Diva

Member Forum >> Premium Content Mirror >> WBB: Wheat-free Diva

Reference

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1366
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 7/17/2012 12:00:00 PM
Edited: 4/30/2022 10:43:51 AM (2)

Sourced from: Infinite Health Blog, by Dr. Davis, originally posted on the Wheat Belly Blog: 2012-07-17

Wheat-free Diva

Janah, a young woman and now chiropractor in Australia, did not just one day stumble on the health power of wheat elimination. Like many of us, she had to struggle with weight and health for years before the one offensive culprit in diet was identified: modern wheat.

Just a look at the dramatic transformation revealed by the “before” and “after” photos Janah provided tell the story.

was: Janah_Before__-_001

I struggled with weight from the age of 12, when I was living in Malaysia. I got violent vertigo to the point that I had barely kept anything down for over 10 days because every time I moved my head, I would throw up. Not knowing what to do, I was hospitalized and put on steroids and I gained 10 kilos (22 pounds) in a week.

My nana, living in Australia, urged my mum to put me on the anti-candida diet, which we did, with great success.

But, over time, I put on weight. Each year when I would sit exams, I would get a bit heavier, and then, after the exam stress, lose maybe 50% of what I had put on over the preceding year. On and on this went until I was 26 years old and at my heaviest: 95 kilos (210 pounds). Over the preceding 10 years, I had done Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, shakes, low fat, calorie counting, increased exercise (1.5-2 hrs a day of walking), as well as the low fat, healthy whole grain thing, all with a little success that was short lived. I have PCOS [polycystic ovarian syndrome] and the treatment approach I was following was just to be on the OCP [oral contraceptives], but, studying chiropractic made me no longer wish to be taking exogenous steroids and I stopped taking it, putting on 10 kilos (22 lbs) in a year without changing anything lifestyle-wise. I went back on it before my wedding as a mood balancer, and also in the hopes it would help me at the very least to not get heavier than I was. But after the wedding, when I came off it again, and was living in Adelaide – with (arguably) the best wine region in the world on my doorstep, I put on 20 kilos (45 pounds) in about 18 months,

It was at this point that my husband, for the first time in our 9 years together, voiced his concern about my weight–not that I was too fat, just that I had gained so much so quickly and he was worried I would have a heart attack in my 40’s or 50’s and he would be left to grow old without me.

So, I went back to the one thing I remembered had ever made me feel good: anti candida. I wasn’t strict, but I was a good 80% cleaner with my diet than I had been in the preceding years. After 6 months, I switched to just doing gluten free, as the anti-candida diet with all its restrictions was just too difficult to maintain. And from experience, if I knew one thing, it was that the changes I needed to make had to be maintainable lifestyle changes. So, with the vast array of gluten-free items on the market, I thought: Great! THAT I can do. So, I persisted with that for 18 months. In total, I lost 13 kilos (28 pounds) over the 24 month period. Again, I wasn’t perfect with this, but a lot cleaner diet than those around me, and I was feeling better, and the scales were headed in the right direction, with something I felt was at least maintainable. Even if I didn’t continue to lose weight to my former teen lean shape, I knew I was able to stop the weight gain wtih GF.

Then, my husband (trying to help me) read “Why We Get Fat” by Gary Taubes, and I changed to gluten free, low carb, high fat. In 10 months, I lost another 10 kilos (22 pounds). We started listening to the podcast with Jimmy Moore in that time, and once we heard the Wheat Belly interview, it made so much sense. That pesky belly fat, the itchy skin over my belly fat, the skin tags over my epigastric region and the rash in my cleavage, the dry eyes, the depression. (GF had already stopped the heartburn I was getting – I was going through a 200 ml bottle of Mylanta about every 2 weeks–embarrassing for a chiropractor who advocates a life without medication.)

was: Janah_After_-_001

So, after hearing that, I completely cut out wheat. I had not had bread, pasta or other obvious wheat containing foods in quite some time, but I was still having it in those hidden sources, which I didn’t realize. After ELIMINATING it, I lost 7 kilos (15 pounds) in just 6 weeks. I was back to SMALLER than the size I had been when I met my husband at 17 years old. It had been the fastest and easiest weightloss of my life. I also started running a few months before giving up wheat (after going low carb, I FINALLY had energy to expend, instead of feeling lethargic all the time). Until then I had kept my bust, a DD cup, until I gave up wheat. Then I dropped to a C cup – which is kinda sad – but I am CERTAIN that the loss was inflammatory fat, and that I have significantly dropped my chances of developing breast cancer, so I am happy about that. (Plus hubby says while they’re smaller, they look better – so you can’t complain about that can you?!)

I now follow a paleo diet, and whilst I would say I am still at about 85% paleo, with 15% non paleo foods, I have maintained my weight for almost 12 months now. For the first time in my life I have kept the same dress size from one winter to the next. And the more fantastic my body looks and feels. And both myself and my husband are very happy with that.

Doesn’t she look great? Her big smile, as well as her trim figure, tell the story so vividly, don’t they?

D.D. Infinite Health icon

Tags: