Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

WBB: Calories in, calories . . . ooops! Where’d they go?

Member Forum >> Premium Content Mirror >> WBB: Calories in, calories . . . ooops! Where’d they go?

Reference

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1366
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 11/7/2011 12:00:00 PM
Edited: 4/30/2022 8:47:08 AM (2)

Sourced from: Infinite Health Blog, by Dr. Davis, originally posted on the Wheat Belly Blog: 2011-11-07

Calories in, calories . . . ooops! Where’d they go?

Michael left this interesting personal experience as a comment on the Wheat Belly Blog. It is a tale of weight gained with wheat and carbohydrate intake, weight lost with elimination . . . far out of proportion to calories.

After reading Good Calories Bad Calories and learning about Alfred Pennington and his patients losing weight on his diet at 3000 calories per day I tried losing weight while eating a clear caloric surplus. I had been on a primal diet à la Mark Sisson for a while so I was already lean (effortlessly, I don’t even do low carb anymore) so for those who want to try this keep in mind that your mileage may vary but here’s what I did:

I used the Harris-Benedict formula to calculate how many calories my body needs + the activity multiplier, it gave me 2500 calories. I’ve got some muscles but I’m not very active. 155 pounds.

I completely stopped working out (my average is one and a half 30 minutes session a week) and started eating a lot of little debbie cakes. From Monday to Friday I gained 6 pounds. Saturday I cut sugar to zero, reduced my physical activity to a minimum and ate as much as I could of chicken and coconut milk. I sat on the couch and watched movies all day long and overate protein & fat up to 3300 calories. Next morning I had lost 2 pounds. Next day, same thing; next morning, same result. I lost 4 pounds in a weekend even though I overate 1600 calories and didn’t do much physical activity.

800 calories surplus per day, maybe that’s too close. So I tried it again later with a 2000 calorie surplus in one day.

Day 1 I ate 5000 calories of mostly cakes and I gained 1 pound, the 2nd day 4500 calories of a similar menu and I gained almost 2 pounds, 3rd day I cut sugar to zero but I kept my calorie intake at 4500, I overate chicken, coconut & omelettes all day long and I reduced my activities to watching movies and playing video games. I had lost 2 pounds the next day at noon.

So either:

A) it was just water anyway

B) I’m a mutant who can violate the laws of physics when I don’t eat sugar

C) calories don’t matter as much as we believe and trying to willfully create a energy deficit may not be necessary to lose fat (unless you’re aiming for a single digit bodyfat %)

(And BTW I do lose weight when I try the calorie deficit method.)

I laughed when I read a comment from a blogger who wrote that losing 1 pound per day is “calorically impossible.” Some people have their heads stuck inside their theories’ butts.

D.D. Infinite Health icon

Tags: CICO

Ian989

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1079
Recommends Recd: 2

Posted: 1/28/2022 8:19:48 PM

It will be partially water weight in the short term due to the nature of how carbs store water with them in the body. He also ate eggs and chicken so a thermic effect of the protein there

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 15773
Recommends Recd: 10
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 1/28/2022 8:30:07 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Lucky Lime

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 2665
Recommends Recd: 0

Posted: 1/29/2022 10:02:23 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags: