Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

Low plasma thiamine

Member Forum >> General Discussion >> Low plasma thiamine

rockstream

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 2
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 9/30/2021 9:58:07 AM

I just got an unexpected single result of low (<6 nmol/L) plasma B1(Thiamine).  Below is the rest of my labs and summary of my history with the program:

I started the program about 5 years ago, initially at 220 lbs (mostly visceral fat), and eliminated wheat, grains, sugars, added raw potato and inulin shakes, L. reuteri yogurt, fish oil, Vit D, kelp, Magnesium and lost weight down to 180 lb stabilized there. During Covid and staying home for work I fell off the diet with frequent grazing through the day and weight went back to 210lb.  For about 2 months now I have gone back to removal of all wheat, grains, sugars and lost 15 pounds down to 195 so I am in the middle of weight loss again.  Currently taking daily: kelp 1200mg, EPA+DHA 3000mg, magnesium malate 3.75g (425mg elemental mg), D3 5000 IU, + L.reuteri yogurt and probiotic (raw potato)

I had one episode of transient amnesia (forgot key details about work items, resolved by itself in 6-8 hours). Hospital workup revealed no metabolic abnormalities but MRI showed a lesion in hippocampus on diffussion weighted imaging very consistent with Transient Global Amnesia (which is usually a one-time event, not related to stroke, unclear etiology). MRA showed carotids and cerebral arteries all fully patent.

To complete the workup, a few days later they ordered additional labs including thiamine levels and that is where the result came back very low.

I only drink alcohol about once a month or less on special occasions.

Here are other recent labs for reference:

Plasma thiamine  < 6 nmol/L.  ***
TSH 1.46 uIU/mL
Vit D (25-OH) 56 ng/mL
Vit B12 1128 pg/mL
Folate 5.2 ng/mL
Hgb A1C 5.4%

2019 Heart Scan - Total CAC score 0

Other than the folate being marginally on the low side of normal, what really stands out here is the thiamine level.  I understand thiamine supplementation is not part of the program, but any recommendation on whether/how exactly I should supplement and whether I should consider any other tests because of that?  Could ongoing weight loss a reason for low thiamine?

Tags: Thiamine

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 14017
Recommends Recd: 10
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 9/30/2021 11:07:08 AM
Edited: 9/30/2021 11:08:07 AM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

rockstream

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 2
Recommends Recd: 0

Posted: 9/30/2021 11:40:52 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

hopscotch

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 2089
Recommends Recd: 8

Posted: 9/30/2021 1:35:18 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags: Thiamine