Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

Nutritional Yeast Crackers

Inner Circle Member Forum >> Recipes >> Nutritional Yeast Crackers

Ketocook

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 16
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 4/23/2020 11:15:48 AM

2 cup almond flour
? cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 oz. grated fontina (cheeses from France, Italy and Switzerland are A2 cheeses and this one is very neutral            tasting, but really any gratable cheese is fine)
? cup egg whites
1-½ Tbsp melted butter

Mix dry ingredients.  
Finely grate the cheese and work into the other dry ingredients.  I do this with my hands by breaking up clumps of cheese and tossing it in the bowl.  You want a homogeneous mixture, but a few little lumps won’t matter. 
Add butter and egg whites, stir until all is moist.  The dough will be a little dry and crumbly, but that is okay.

Dump half the dough at a time onto parchment paper.  Cover with another sheet.  Roll out really thin.  With some practice, you can roll out almost rectangular.  My rolled out dough, covers the bulk of a large cookie sheet, but you can make them a little thicker if you want.

Peel off the top sheet of parchment.  Take a long knife and cut into crackers by rocking the knife along the dough. You may have to wipe off your blade once or twice to keep the cuts smooth.  If you drag the knife through the dough, the dough drags with the knife and makes a mess.

Bake in the middle of a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven, wait a minute or two, and using the large knife, separate into crackers.  If any of the crackers along the edge feel dry when you tap with a fingernail, then slide them right off the cookie sheet.  If a cracker feels anything but crisp, put them back into the oven for 5 minute increments.  After each 5 minutes, pull out and remove the completely dried crackers and rearrange or cut apart the ones that are still moist.  

The crackers will get even crisper as they cool.  The ones that are super thin around the edges are almost like chips.  My crackers are usually about 1/16" thick, but that is because through trial an error, I know what I like.  

I roll out, score, and pop the second tray into the oven as soon as I have the first sheet cooking.  I’m fairly loosey-goosey with the time because I know I will probably put them in and out of the oven 2-3 times to get them crisp and dry.  My main goal is to get the crackers cooked and dry without getting overly browned.  I like them best just barely darker than the raw dough.  The first time I take them out of the oven, I generally add a little more salt to the tops.

These will keep in a sealed cookie tin for a week on the counter, but they will be gone long before that.  I frequently double the recipe and intend to freeze some.  I have frozen some only when I wanted them for a party.  If they are on the counter they get cold and eaten.  You can use different cheeses and add seasoning if you want.  I use these crackers for pate, tuna salad, peanut butter, pimento cheese.  They are just my favorite!
Tags: ,Low Carb High Fat Indirectly Wheat Free

NancyJ

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 103

Posted: 4/23/2020 2:05:40 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Garfield

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 22

Posted: 4/24/2020 2:07:41 AM

Is nutritional yeast based on monosodium glutamine?
Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 10806
Recommends Recd: 9
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 4/24/2020 8:11:17 AM
Edited: 4/24/2020 6:43:48 PM (3)

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Ketocook

No Avatar

Posted: 4/24/2020 6:33:34 PM

One third cup of egg whites 
Tags:

Ketocook

No Avatar

Posted: 4/24/2020 6:34:18 PM

One third cup yeast also.  I do t know why those didn’t show up

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 10806
Recommends Recd: 9
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 4/24/2020 6:39:00 PM
Edited: 4/24/2020 7:44:22 PM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posts Contributed: 8985
Recommends Recd: 15

Posted: 4/24/2020 7:32:05 PM

Excellent idea!

Tags:

Garfield

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 22

Posted: 4/25/2020 3:42:06 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags: