Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

E. Coli Nissle 1917 Probiotic

Member Forum >> Bowel Flora and Digestive Health >> E. Coli Nissle 1917 Probiotic

mgcolorado

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 40
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 1

Posted: 4/13/2020 6:48:03 PM

Based on input from Dr. Davis I recently purchased the product Mutaflor which contains the probiotic E. Coli Nissle 1917 (N 1917). This probiotic has been used for decades to treat what our group would consider SIBO symptoms: diahrrea, constipation, bloating, gas, etc. as well as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. For me, it’s lowering my resistant, Aire-measured breath hydrogen levels after only 4 days. N 1917 appears to be extremely well studied and has some interesting properties. It was isolated by Alfred Nissle from the stool of a WWI soldier who survived when most of his comrades were dying of dysentery and typhoid fever from intestinal pathogens. It seems to defeat intestinal pathogens by out-competing them for certain sugar compounds. It also appears to colonize itself in the intestine by creating a strong biofilm. In addition, it is resistant to gram positive antibiotics including penicillin and erythromycin although not gram negative antibiotics like tetracycline and amoxicillin. Interestingly, it was shown to enhance the effect of rifaximin in treating colitis.

Unfortunately, N 1917 is not easy to find. Amazon is sold out with no known restocking date. It’s more available in Europe and Australia. But it seems to degrade if not kept cold for more than a couple of days. Overseas rapid shipping would likely be expensive. I ordered it from feelgoodnatural.com in Canada. They ship to the US on Mondays with a cold pack, so it’s only subject to a day or 2 of non-refrigerated temperature. The cost is $86.00 including shipping for roughly a 2 week dose. The insert recommends 8 weeks of treatment. Since others in the US have had the same problems, I found websites explaining how to grow E. Coli Nissle 1917 in yogurt. It’s essentially what we’ve been doing with L. Reuteri and L. Casei, though the process is less refined. They say to culture it for only 6-10 hours at about 100 degrees F.  However, the process uses a liquid suspension Mutaflor (for pediatric/infant use) that I’ve not been able to locate. The Mutflor pills I received contain an enteric coating to allow the probiotic to reach the end of the Ilium/beginning of the colon.

I’d like to culture E. Coli Nissle 1917 in yogurt. But I have some questions that may be difficult to answer. I’d appreciate any thoughts:

1. Will stomach acid kill it all before it reaches the intestine?
  2. If I grind up the enteric coated pills, will they still produce probiotic populated yogurt?
  3. Can I overdose on this probiotic especially since it colonizes the intestine and cause more SIBO?
Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 14011
Recommends Recd: 10
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 4/13/2020 7:07:34 PM
Edited: 4/13/2020 8:59:33 PM (2)

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

mgcolorado

No Avatar

Posted: 4/13/2020 9:11:45 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posted: 4/13/2020 9:32:31 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

mgcolorado

No Avatar

Posted: 4/14/2020 9:13:23 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posts Contributed: 9903
Recommends Recd: 15

Posted: 4/14/2020 9:33:26 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

mgcolorado

No Avatar

Posted: 4/14/2020 10:21:56 AM

Dr. Davis, thanks for the feedback. I’ll let you know what happens. There are fermentation recipes online that I can use as a starting point.
Tags:

AnneM

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 15

Posted: 8/31/2021 12:45:47 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posted: 8/31/2021 10:45:38 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

NellG

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 8

Likes Recd: 2

Posted: 9/13/2021 2:06:22 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

AnneM

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 15

Posted: 9/14/2021 5:34:27 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

NellG

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 8

Posted: 9/15/2021 3:40:51 AM

I’m a huge fan of Dr. Myhill! Yes, this is my second turn through ME/CFS (first time got it thanks to Lyme) and hopefully this time it will be shorter. Will check out her recipe for Mutaflor. And consider getting a second fridge, lol.

Tags: