Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

Low-Carb (Keto) and Impaired Thyroid Function & LDL

Member Forum >> Iodine and Thyroid Health >> Low-Carb (Keto) and Impaired Thyroid Function & LDL

NoMercy

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 30
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 4/5/2020 9:15:47 AM

My FM practitioner sent this to me for consideration.  (I have attached the full article).
Reversing-Metabolic-Dysfunction-Part-3-Transcript.pdf

I have Hashimoto’s and I am following Undoctored protocols (Iodine supplements, Armour Thyroid, D3, Magesium and Fish Oil, L. Reuturi etc). I also take LDN.  My issue is that I cannot lose weight (I am stuck!) and my VLDL levels keep increasing.  My LDL levels are also increasing, but I do not give LDL any credibility.

My FM practitioner is very concerned about my LDL however, so she sent me this article for consideration.  While I respect that she follows FM practice protocols, I would like a "2nd opinion" as to the info here and if and how it applies to WB/Undoctored.

I also understand that the WB/Undoctored lifestyle is NOT  Keto.  It is lower carb though. 

Excerpt:
Long term ketogenic, I would say is not something I recommend for a metabolic dysfunction. I have
definitely seen it be very effective for jump-starting progress and again, providing that shocking shift, but long-term ketogenic, while it might be necessary for people with various neurological dysfunction like epilepsy or Parkinson’s, I don’t recommend it for a metabolic dysfunction, largely because in my experience, it’s really hard for most people to maintain in real life unless everyone they know and love is also doing it, and it can have an impact on a number of other dynamics. It can impair thyroid function, it can impair microbial diversity, and let’s face it, it’s one thing to increase healthy fat in balance, but if you’ve got your carbohydrates down to like 10% of your diet or even less, it’s really hard to get sufficient phytonutrients. It’s hard to get sufficient goodness from plant foods, and you end up having to supplement with fiber away from whole foods, which I don’t recommend for long term, and so this is where the vegetable and the fruit-rich diet can really make a big difference.

And so again, this is where the therapeutic intervention ends up being really quite different than the
maintenance one that best serves people. It’s also true that staying on a ketogenic diet or having
carbohydrate reduced too low, can impair weight loss.
I am increasingly finding, interestingly enough, women as they enter late perimenopause and menopause, are finding that their body is asking for a bit of a boost in their carbohydrate intake, and doing so actually allows them to have less anxiety and to getpast weight loss plateaus.

So there’s a couple of questions here. So if a long-term ketogenic diet impairs thyroid function, then
increases in LDL cholesterol are a natural consequence of hypothyroid function. And so that is believed to be one of the ways in which that can have an impact. It’s also true that if we’re not getting enough nutrients or too many pro-inflammatory fats, then we can end up with higher levels of oxidized LDL, which is really the culprit. It’s really oxidized LDL that we know is the greater contributor to cardiovascular disease, but that higher level of oxidative stress or inflammation can also increase the LDL particle count, irrespective of the total amount of cholesterol or LDL. For shorter term use of ketogenic diets, LDL is actually more likely to go down, HDL is more likely to go up.

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 11117
Recommends Recd: 9
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 4/5/2020 10:24:33 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

NoMercy

No Avatar

Posted: 4/5/2020 2:06:45 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posts Contributed: 9077
Recommends Recd: 15

Posted: 4/5/2020 3:08:14 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

NoMercy

No Avatar

Posted: 4/6/2020 6:00:09 AM

I have not explore SIBO or SIFO.  I will read-up on this in the books.  Thanks.
Tags:

hopscotch

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1821
Recommends Recd: 8

Posted: 4/6/2020 6:20:37 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags: