Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

Low magnesium, high blood pressure, and impaired kidney function

Member Forum >> Magnesium >> Low magnesium, high blood pressure, and impaired kidney function

acanthusbk

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 353
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 1
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 7/7/2018 8:24:58 PM
Edited: 7/7/2018 9:35:53 PM (1)

Regarding Bob Niland’s comment in the "Supplement Central" thread: "impaired kidney function requires monitoring of Mg serum levels/" My questions: how high is too high for serum magnesium levels in someone with kidney disease? How often should serum and RBC magnesium be tested if someone with kidney disease supplements magnesium? And how quickly (or not) is adequate magnesium intake likely to reduce blood pressure?

My elderly mother has stage 3 kidney disease. Her serum magnesium tested at 2.3 (range 1.5-2.5) but RBC magnesium at only 3.8 (range 4.0-6.4). In the past 2 years she lost 50 lbs., and has been low carb/ grain free for a year. She’s been on 3 blood pressure meds for many years, which needed to be reduced by half when her BP went too low and she kept getting dizzy (110-120 systolic) after losing all the weight. Her primary care doc had never heard of a RBC magnesium test and it took 3 tries to get him to order the right one. We see her cardiologist in a few days but I’m not expecting much insight on magnesium from him either. She’s been supplementing magnesium at about 1/3 of Dr. Davis’ recommended level, for about 6 months. Prior to that she was drinking the magnesium water but wasn’t very compliant, pills twice a day are easier for her to remember. Because of her kidney issue I was afraid to give her more than a small amount of magnesium, without seeing her serum and RBC results first.

I live across the country and only see her about every 3 months, she’s alone the rest of the time but wears a fall alert necklace. If increased magnesium intake is going to have a positive effect on her blood pressure, will that happen very slowly over time? I don’t want her to get dizzy and fall. Her BP currently runs about 150/60 first thing when she gets up, she then takes ALL her BP meds at once in the am with none in the pm (something I need to talk to her cardiologist about), then BP goes down to about 140/55 late morning to midday, and back up to 160/60 in the pm, sometimes slightly higher. Her diastolic never gets above mid 70’s and is usually in the upper 50’s/ low 60’s, a whole other issue.

Do any of you knowledgeable folks here have any insight or suggestions?

Tags:

acanthusbk

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 353
Recommends Recd: 0

Posted: 8/27/2018 1:35:12 PM

For future reference should anyone need the info, per my mom’s cardiologist a CKD patient who supplements magnesium should have serum magnesium checked monthly.

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Undoctored Staff

Posts Contributed: 9905
Recommends Recd: 15

Posted: 8/27/2018 2:45:33 PM

That would be a reasonable approach, Acanthus. 

It can also vary depending on degree of kidney disease and previous magnesium levels. But most people with kidney disease do not need to supplement any magnesium at all. 
Tags: