Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X
Inner Circle Forums

Portions of the Undoctored Inner Circle Member Forum and its vast wealth of knowledge, are available only to our Members.
Becoming an Inner Circle Member will allow you to post topics, ask Dr. Davis questions, and view all replies.

Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes and Obesity

Member Forum >> Bowel Flora and Digestive Health >> Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes and Obesity

aerobic1

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 930
Recommends Recd: 3
Ignores Issued: 1
Certs & Awards: 3   view

Likes Recd: 2

Posted: 11/26/2014 2:58:59 PM
Edited: 11/26/2014 3:58:19 PM (1)

Got some weight you need to lose despite eating right and exercising?  Here’s a clue: Check your predominant gut bacteria strains as it may offer you an explanation.

It seems whenever the subject of gut flora comes up, someone is eager to recommend or condemn a certain brand of probiotic or endorse a certain fermented food.  While those particular strains are good, they likely don’t address the real strains that are inherent in our gut since birth or acquired over decades.  The various strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidum bacteria in supplements are the ones people are most familiar with.  8, 10, 12 strains or more; 25, 50, 100 billion CFU are commonplace.  Some work better than others.  The unfortunate thing is that these strains don’t really address the predominant beneficial strains that also get killed off with antibiotics or poor diet.

Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes are just two beneficial classes of gut bacteria many people are typically unaware of.  Firmicutes include Clostridia, Streptomyces, Lactobacillus, Mycoplasma, and Bacillus. Bacteroidetes include Bacteroides and Prevotella. 

The latest thinking is that Firmicutes which digest your food can make a person obese if they have a very high Firmicutes to Bacteroidetes ratio.  Obese people are shown to have a very high amount of Firmicutes in their gut in contrast to those with higher gut amounts of Bacteroidetes who are leaner.  When a person fasts Firmicutes levels will decrease while Bacteroidetes levels increases.  Here is the science that backs up the claim. 

1) http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/17183309
2) http://www.nature.com/news/bacteria-from-lean-cage-mates-help-mice-stay-slim-1.13693
3) http://www.pnas.org/content/102/31/11070.short
4) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/9/576/ 

According to Genova Labs, their GI Effects assay https://www.gdx.net/core/sample-reports/GI-Effects-Compehensive-SR.pdf offers an “Adiposity Index” which is a Firmicutes to Bacteroidetes ratio.  Here is a sample report and the lower the number the better.  Note that you need both Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes but the more Bacteroides and the less Firmicutes the better.

So, what does this all mean?  It seems lowering Firmicutes and increasing Bacteroidetes may help with weight loss.  My probiotic has Bacteroidetes in it that will help push the ratio in the favor of lean.  I have not use conventional probiotics in many months.  My many gut issues have disappeared too.  http://www.prescript-assist.com/ .  Prescript-Assist is shelf stable and can be taken with food or drink.

Prescript Assist Soil Based Probiotic - 60 Capsules PA-60

Ingredients: Each 600mg capsule of Prescript-Assist™ contains a proprietary blend of Leonardite and the following microorganisms: Arthrobacter agilis, Arthrobacter citreus, Arthrobacter globiformis, Arthrobacter luteus, Arthrobacter simplex, Acinetobacter calcoaceticus, Azotobacter chroococcum, Azotobacter paspali, Azospirillum brasiliense, Azospirillum lipoferum, Bacillus brevis, Bacillus marcerans, Bacillus pumilus, Bacillus polymyxa, Bacillus subtilis, Bacteroides lipolyticum, Bacteriodes succinogenes, Brevibacterium lipolyticum, Brevibacterium stationis, Kurthia zopfii, Myrothecium verrucaria, Pseudomonas calcis, Pseudomonas dentrificans, Pseudomonas fluorescens, Pseudomonas glathei, Phanerochaete chrysosporium, Streptomyces fradiae, Streptomyces cellulosae, Streptomyces griseoflavus. Other Ingredients: cellulose (vegetarian capsule), l-leucine, bamboo (Bambusa vulgaris) extract

Tags: probiotics,Weight Gain,Weight Loss

mark5309

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 118
Recommends Recd: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Likes Recd: 0

Posted: 10/3/2021 2:57:08 AM
Edited: 11/12/2021 12:10:24 AM (3)

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Ian989

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 908
Recommends Recd: 2

Posted: 10/3/2021 2:33:24 PM

"Suggestions?"

You should probably start your own forum post so you get a better response
Tags:

mark5309

No Avatar

Posted: 10/3/2021 5:23:04 PM
Edited: 10/3/2021 5:24:06 PM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters are restricted to Full Access Members (make certain you are logged-in!).

Tags:

Ian989

No Avatar

Posted: 10/5/2021 3:29:12 PM

I don’t see that anyone had banned you and I’m not sure why they would. I was just trying to help you get the best response out of your post
Tags:

mark5309

No Avatar

Posted: 10/5/2021 3:35:55 PM

Right, no one banned me, it was from Bob to put that because the OP had some kind of ban which I really don’t understand.

Tags:

Ian989

No Avatar

Posted: 10/5/2021 3:43:00 PM

Oh ok 
Tags:

Reference

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 259

Posted: 10/5/2021 3:49:49 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Ian989

No Avatar

Posted: 10/5/2021 4:29:01 PM

I see 
Tags: