Speaking availability

Just a quick announcement:

If you would like to hear more about the concepts articulated in The Heart Scan Blog or in the Track Your Plaque program, I am available to speak to your group.

Among the possible topics:

Return to the Wild: Natural Nutritional Supplements That Supercharge Health
Why this apparent "need" for fish oil and other heart-healthy supplements? I discuss why some nutritional supplements make perfect sense when we are viewed in the context of primitive humans living modern lives, while other supplements do little.

Shrink Your Tummy . . .or, Why Your Dietitian is Fat!
Weight loss doesn't have to involve calorie counting, deprivation, or hunger pangs. But the conventional "rules" for weight loss and health have to be broken.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Extraordinary Heart Health
Heart health is something that you can seize control over, something identifiable, correctable, and . . . reversible. Much of this can be achieved with little or no medication, nor procedures. I detail all the enormously empowering lessons learned through the Track Your Plaque program.

I can also present in-depth yet entertaining discussions on the power of vitamin D, natural cholesterol control, screening for heart disease, and similar topics covered in the blog.

To learn more, just e-mail us at contact@trackyourplaque, or call my office at 414-456-1123.

Comments (5) -

• TedHutchinson

2/3/2009 12:14:00 PM |

For the benefit of your overseas readers is there any possibility you could produce a CD or DVD of your talks?
    I enjoyed the Jimmy Moore interviews you did and would happily pay for more.

• Dr. William Davis

2/3/2009 1:27:00 PM |

Hi, Ted--

Thanks for asking.

We do make the talks available (though not the ones listed specifically) as webinars on the www.trackyourplaque.com with membership to the site. The webinars are included as part of membership.

We are putting together an introductory webinar right now.

• steve

2/3/2009 5:44:00 PM |

when is the update to the track your plaque book going to be available?  i assume it will contain the information you would provide in talks and cover some of the topics you just mentioned

• Dr. William Davis

2/3/2009 10:40:00 PM |

Hi, Steve-

The re-release of the revised Track Your Plaque remains up in the air, due mostly to some rather prolonged negotiations with publishers on another project.

I'm aware that new information needs to be shared. We may need to change plans at some point, depending on how negotiations go in the next few months.

• Lucy

2/22/2009 2:14:00 AM |

I appreciate the humor in your title, Doc, but you're not helping the situation but putting your fellow clinicians down.  Not all dietitians worship at the altar of the ADA/AHA or preach "low-fat" diets.

- a skinny dietitian

Mediterranean diet vs. American Heart Association Diet

Mediterranean diet vs. American Heart Association Diet

In 1994, the Lyon Heart Study demonstrated a 50-70% reduction in coronary events in participants who followed a diet rich in vegetables, olive oil, fish, nuts, red wine, and enjoyed meals as a family activity. Various other studies have documented similar phenomena with less metabolic syndrome, better lipid patterns, less obesity with the Mediterranean lifestyle.

There are two fundamental differences between the Mediterranean diet and the diet advocated by the American Heart Association (AHA) for people with heart disease: the Mediterranean diet uses olive oil more liberally, such that fat calories can reach 40% of total; and, unlike the AHA diet, processed foods are not a part of the Mediterranean diet. Greeks, for instance, are far less likely to eat Count Chocula cereal for breakfast, or snack on Healthy Choice Premium Caramel Swirl Sandwich (ice cream sandwiches) or Malt-O-Meal Honey Nut Scooters. All three of these foods on listed on the AHA Heart-Check Mark heart-healthy program.

In other words, remove all the processed foods, and the AHA diet pretty closely resembles the Mediterranean diet. There are differences but they tend to be relatively small. If the only major difference is the presence of processed foods, wouldn't you therefore expect the AHA to embrace the Mediterranean diet?

Here's what their official stand on the Mediterranean diet states:

Does a Mediterranean-style diet follow American Heart Association dietary recommendations?

Mediterranean-style diets are often close to our dietary recommendations, but they don’t follow them exactly. In general, the diets of Mediterranean peoples contain a relatively high percentage of calories from fat. This is thought to contribute to the increasing obesity in these countries, which is becoming a concern.

The AHA is actually lukewarm towards the diet that was the first to show a dramatic decrease in heart attack and death. Why?

The answer is obvious, once cast in this light. To wholeheartedly endorse the Mediterranean diet might be seen as an indirect rejection of American processed foods. You know, the foods that have caused an extraordinary and unprecedented epidemic of obesity in the U.S., the foods that are manufactured by ConAgra, General Mills, Kelloggs--all also major financial contributors to the AHA, according to the AHA Annual Report.

I tell my patients: If you want heart disease, follow the American Heart Association diet. In my view, it is a diet founded on politics and money, not on health. How else could Cocoa Puffs be regarded as heart healthy?

Comments (4) -

• DietKing2

6/18/2007 1:25:00 PM |

Hey Doc, leave my Count Chocula and Cocoa Puffs alone, man! Well, at least you didn't go after my beloved Cocoa Pebbles! (This is what I was raised on...wonder why I'm addicted to sugar??)
    I'm just kiddin ya, you know that. It just annoys me when you bring these things to light-the AHA witholding support of a diet (or lifestyle perhaps?) that is obviously so much better than their program. This is a group of supposedly intelligent professionals who you would think would want what's best for the American people as a whole.
    Enjoyed reading this post, but I still wish they'd invent 'Mediterranean Cocoa Pebbles' or something. LOL
    Adam

• Anonymous

6/30/2008 12:11:00 AM |

Uh huh. Now I see what has been going on when my husband has been in the hospital for a 4 in 1 heart procedure (aortic valve replacement, one bypass, MAZE {?} procedure and restructuring of a portion of a heart chamber). I invariably raised my eyebrows at his food tray, but finally flipped out when a breakfast tray had french toast with syrup, Frosted Flakes and apple juice, in addition to eggs, sausage and milk. My husband loved every bit of it because he rarely gets that type of food at home. In fact, Frosted Flakes and their kin are strictly banned in this house since we're both fighting a tendency toward high blood sugar.
    Then there was the hospital version of chicken fried steak, with gravy yet. Pork chop another day, with gravy of course. Plenty of gravy on potatoes and butter for rice and rolls. A turkey sandwich on white bread for an evening snack, with a hefty packet of mayo. Smuckers peanut butter. And on and on I could go.
    I wanted to run through the hospital kitchens screaming, "Are you people nuts? Or are you trying to assure repeat visits?"
    Incidently, this was the "regular" hospital diet which my husband's heart surgeon allows during his patient's recovery period.
    Another week or two of this at home and then he's supposed to buckle down and eat right. Oooookay. But Frosted Flakes are still banned.

• Anavar

5/18/2010 11:56:31 AM |

No diet is necessary if you just change white carbs for whole grains and bad fat for good fat. And weight will be gone for sure. And of course exercise must be included too. No diet is as successful as this.

• buy jeans